Under 13 Warriors
Graeme Searle
Team Secretary
Karen Coates
1. Jack Chadwick
2. Scott Coates
3. Josh Cuthbert
4. George Forrest
5. Harry Graves
6. Charlie Gregg
7. Jamie Howeth
8. Cameron Hunter
9. Ethan Searle
10. Nathaniel Brown
11. Joseph MacDonald
12. Fin Bell
13. Max Swinburne
14. Josh Coombs
15. Bruce Lawson
16. Edward Allenby
17. Daniel Armstrong
18. Ben Akister

Monday 18:00 - 19:00


2016/17 - U12 Warriors
2015/16 - U11 Warriors
2014/15 - U10 Comets
2013/14 - U9 Comets


Select Loft Building Services

Pitch Roofing Service sponsor Wideopen U12 Warriors


Match Reports

4th November 2017: Forest Hall Lions 2 - 3 Wideopen Warriors

After a couple of weeks off it was good to see the lads back on the football pitch and raring to go.  We were all wondering whether the break would interrupt the team’s momentum after some really strong and spirited performances in recent weeks,

A strong squad turned out with only Max absent, giving Graeme plenty of problems in selecting the starting 11 and choosing when to use his many subs.  Warriors began the game with Scott in goal behind a back four of Harry, Edward, Finn and Ben. Across midfield were Dan, Josh Coombs, Ethan and Joey with Jamie and Nathaniel up front. 

It took Warriors a little while to settle and the first five minutes saw Forest Hall dominate possession.  Warriors struggled to exert any control in midfield but the defence was looking solid.  Thankfully, Forest Hall only created one clear chance in this time with Scott making a relatively easy save.

But slowly Warriors worked their way into the game and started to create chances of their own.  One nice move down the right saw Harry, at right back, send Daniel away down the wing.  His sprint and cross found Nathaniel who trapped the ball, beat the defender and got his shot away but the keeper did well to get down low and tip the ball around the post.

The two sides were evenly matched, but Forest Hall took the lead with a soft goal.  A ball through the middle looked to have set their attacker clean through, but Harry sprinted back and got his challenge in at the crucial moment.  He looked to have done enough to put the attacker off and take the sting out of the shot and whilst Scott looked to have it easily covered, the ball dribbled through and into the net.  

Warriors regrouped immediately and soon forced the Forest Hall keeper into an excellent save.  Good work down the left from Ben and Joey set Nathaniel through, who beat the defender for pace and cut in from the left corner of the box.  His shot, though, was well saved at the near post for a corner.  Shortly after, Nathaniel’s pace and trickery won a penalty right on the edge of the box.  He stepped up to confidently and smacked the ball in off the inside of the left post – an unstoppable effort to bring the scores level.

Having brought themselves back into the game, Warriors quickly stamped some authority on it by taking the lead.  A Warriors' corner was cleared but only out to Joey on the left.  He played the ball back to Ben in space and his chip into the box was controlled by Josh Coombs.  His effort rebounded off a defender and Nathaniel reacted quickest to blast the ball into the roof of the net.

The lead seemed to settle Warriors even more.  Certainly they began to play football that was increasingly composed and assured. They were definitely the team on top, with some nice touches being showed by Ben, Joey and Josh on the left and Harry, Dan and Nathaniel down the right.  The defence looked solid and alert, with good covering when Forest Hall did threaten to burst through on goal.

Ben was substituted suffering from blisters with George coming on to replace him at left back and the half ended with Warriors leading by the single goal following their excellent comeback.  

The lead lasted only a couple of minutes into the second half and Forest Hall scored with their first effort.  Again a weak shot found its way through and into the net which was a real pity because Warriors had been on top and Scott done well at other times to clear danger and save shots when they came in.  

This proved to be a second test of the team’s ability to bounce back from disappointment - and they passed it with flying colours. Soon after losing the lead they were threatening the home team’s goal again.  A good run and cross down the right from Dan resulted in the ball flashing across the penalty box. Unfortunately, Jamie couldn’t quite time his shot and the ball went through his legs when any contact would have been enough to score.  However, Joey was lurking at the back post and he controlled the ball and blasted in a high shot from an acute angle but the goalie showed brilliant reactions to tip over.  Warriors then had the ball in the net following some great skill from Nathaniel, whose cross was tapped in by Jamie.  Unfortunately, this goal was struck off when the ball was ruled to have crossed the byline.  

The game became more frenetic and the temperature was certainly rising.  Before long Forest Hall worked a good position up front and, though the linesman was flagging for offside, the referee gave a penalty when the attacker was tripped in the box.  Frustration turned to relief, however, when the penalty was blasted high and wide and parity was maintained.

The game was very even for the remainder of the match.  Some great work up the left and in the centre from Joey and Josh nearly saw Jamie tip the ball over the oncoming keeper.  A Forest Hall attack was thwarted by a great covering tackle by Edward, which is becoming his trademark.

Charlie came on for Joey on the left of midfield just before Forest Hall had a gilt-edged chance to go ahead.  A good move down the left led to a cross, the ball bobbled out to an on-rushing attacker who sliced it over the gaping goal from eight yards.

Both teams were pressing for the winner and this meant the game was more and more stretched.  Scott pulled off an excellent save to deny a goal and whilst the rebound fell straight to an attacker with an empty net 20 yards ahead of him, he put his snap shot a long way wide. 

Then Warriors almost scored from a corner.  The ball came into the box, was half-cleared by the Forest Hall defence but eventually found its way out to Dan lurking on the edge of the box.  He hit his volley sweetly enough but it drifted a foot wide of the right post.

A further change saw Josh Cuthbert on for Josh Coombs, with Finn moving into midfield and Josh coming in alongside Edward at centre half.  Then Warriors took a deserved and decisive lead.  Some great tenacity from Dan saw him battle back to win the ball on the left, where he passed it back to George.  His composed pass into Ethan allowed him to break forward, beat a defender and strike a clean shot from the edge of the box which went through the keeper and into the net.

Warriors could and should have then scored a fourth to settle the game with only a few minutes to go.  A lovely passing move sent Nathaniel away through on goal.  His first shot was well saved but the rebound found its way back to him, but he could only put his second shot wide.

Warriors then held out for the win but the last five minutes were very nervy.  The defence seemed to lose its shape and confidence and on several occasions, it looked like it might get overrun on the break. Another great save from Scott at the death meant the win was confirmed.

In the end we can reflect on a good performance, another win and excellent effort and determination to come back from a losing position twice.  We could have had a clean sheet which would have meant a comfortable win, but the boys showed togetherness and spirit to get over the line together. Scott will hopefully remember all the great saves he made and not the goals which are part and parcel of taking on the responsibility between the sticks.  Credit also goes to Forest Hall who proved to be a very good team which tested us all over the park. A great hard fought win for the Warriors.

Goals: Nathaniel (2), Ethan

Man of the Match: Edward

Fixtures (Saturdays unless otherwise shown)


Comp. Result
North Shields Blacks
Preston Playing Fields, NE30 2UD
League 2 - 6
11/09/17 (M) Whitley Bay Sporting Club A 18:30 Whitley Bay HS, NE25 9AS Cup 6 - 3
16/09/17 West Allotment Eagles H 11:30 Lockey Park League 6 - 0
23/09/17 Hexham Hornets A 11:30 Dukeshouse, NE46 1TP League 6 - 2
30/09/17 no game            
07/10/17 Tynemouth United Blues A 9:30 Norham High School, NE29 7BU League 3 - 3
14/10/17 Alnwick Town Adders H 11:00 Lockey Park League 6 - 1
21/10/17 Blackout Weekend            
28/10/17 no game            
04/11/17 Forest Hall Lions A 11:00 Palmersville Community Centre, NE12 9HW League 2 - 3
11/11/17 Hexham Hawks H 11:00 Lockey Park League 3 - 5  
18/11/17 Hexham Hawks A 10:00 Dukeswood House, NE46 1TP League 1 - 4  
25/11/17 North Shields Blacks H 10:00 Lockey Park League    
02/12/17 West Allotment A tbc tbc League    
09/12/17 no game            
06/01/18 Hexham Hornets H tbc Lockey Park League    
13/01/17 Tynemouth H tbc Lockey Park League    
17/02/18 Blackout Weekend            
31/03/18 Blackout Weekend            
Wideopen Warriors v. Hexham Hawks
U13 Warriors Squad 2017 / 178